When you hear the word “airsoft,” maybe you think of little kids running around their backyards shooting each other with tiny plastic bullets. Or maybe you think of a bunch of grown men in full camouflage running around an assault course playing soldiers.
Serious target practice probably isn’t the first thing that comes to mind. Surely a replica gun is nothing like a real, live firearm? But there is an increasing number of people who are using airsoft guns to practice their shooting skills and hone their accuracy. With surprisingly effective results.
The following article takes a look at the benefits of airsoft accuracy training, and how Glock-style airsoft guns can be highly effective at replicating the conditions needed to improve your shooting.
What is an airsoft gun?
An airsoft gun is classified as an imitation firearm. It generally fires spherical plastic projectiles that leave little to no visible marking on impact. It originated in Japan in the 1970s as a competitive sport, similar to paintball, but it is increasingly being taken seriously as a legitimate form of firearm training. Airsoft guns come in a huge spectrum of quality and functionality and can be an excellent way to increase your accuracy.
How are airsoft guns good for accuracy training?
- They improve your shooting form: There are several factors involved in making the perfect shot, but your form is perhaps the most crucial. In order to land your bullets on target every single time, you need to have a good stance, trigger control, breathing, and follow-through. And these are all things you can work on with an airsoft gun. It may not be identical to a real firearm, but you can still use them to practice the way you stand, hold the trigger, and control your breathing as you take the shot. As long as you have a quality airsoft gun with front and rear sights, you will have all the characteristics you need to get better.
- You can get accurate replicas: One of the most common reasons for skepticism about airsoft accuracy training is the fact that the guns aren’t an accurate portrayal of the real thing. But airsoft technology has come a long way in recent years and there are so many options available. You can get spring-action airsoft guns, automatic electric ones, and even gas airsoft guns with a blowback feature that simulates the recoil of a live firearm.
- It is considerably cheaper: Shooting live ammunition is expensive, particularly when you’re a beginner and the majority of your shots are landing off target. Practicing with airsoft guns is a much more affordable way to work on your accuracy, as those little plastic projectiles cost almost nothing. Furthermore, although there are many high-end airsoft firearms, they will generally cost a lot less than a real weapon.
- You can practice in any conditions: Perhaps the best thing about airsoft accuracy training is that you can do it anywhere. You can practice in your garage, your backyard, a nearby forest, or a local airsoft field. With live bullets, you are restricted to shooting ranges, which is less convenient and you have to pay a premium for the privilege. This benefit is increasingly relevant in the age of coronavirus restrictions, as it is harder for many people to visit their local range. Airsoft gives you the flexibility to continue your training in a global pandemic.
- Law enforcement units use them: Perhaps the best argument for the efficacy of Glock-style airsoft guns for accuracy training is the fact it is commonly employed by law enforcement units. Many police departments and military personnel train their new recruits in handling firearms by using airsoft guns. Even many gun experts and instructors use the same practice to get their students used to handling and shooting a firearm. If it is good enough for the most highly-trained experts to reach a professional standard, it must be effective for practicing basic accuracy.
In summary, airsoft guns can be extremely effective for accuracy training, although you need to ensure you have the right firearm. There is a huge range of different airsoft firearms out there, and it is worth taking the time to do some research and find the most appropriate model for your needs. The best airsoft guns can accurately recreate the conditions needed to practice accurate shooting, and allow you much more freedom and flexibility in your training schedule, saving a great deal of money at the same time.